Sunday, February 24, 2013

Interview


            I was a bit nervous about doing this interview with some student a few weeks ago in the class. I’ve never interviewed anyone before from what I remember and so I was freaking out inside of me because this was an assignment we had to do. Though I felt that way, I shot my hand up, sticking four little fingers out, and looked for my partner who had the same number as me. Scanning at the back of the classroom, a girl who sat in the last row at the corner of the table looked at me directly. Assuming that she was the one person, I packed my things and went to the end of the row. When I sat down next to her, she was quiet and had her arms crossed on the table and had her head slightly on her arms. At first, I believed that the interview was going to be awkward the whole way, but after the little conference, it was quite the opposite.
          The person that I had the chance to interview was Liliana Quintero which later on during the interview, I discovered that she and I graduated from the same school last year in Hueneme High School which was pretty neat to know. She’s 18 years old and she is the youngest out of four in her family (two brothers and a sister). She’s currently a full-time student at Oxnard College on Mondays through Thursdays and on the weekends she works at a Pollo Loco restaurant. She spends time with her family on Sundays

          What motivates her to go to college is that she wants to get a career and study Psychology to have a good life for herself and for her future family. Her motto or philosophy for succeeding in school is that “You’re the only person that can stop yourself from succeeding.

            Her role model in her life is her sister because she was the first person in her family to graduate from college and became a teacher after that. With her example, this inspired Liliana (Lili) to earn a good education and become a better person. When I asked her if she was a role model to anyone, she put some thought to it and answered that she was a role model for her cousin. She explained to me that her cousin is smart in school but she often slacks of so she, Lili, would talk to her from time to time and tried to be a good example for her to get a higher education.
          What she likes about college is that it has a lot of services or resources that really help out for her like the library and the vending machines that have school supplies. What she wants improvement in Oxnard College is that the cafeteria should be open often.

            After talking to her, I came to know that she cares for her parents and wants to make them proud. She wants to study hard enough so when earns the degree, she wants this to be a gift to her parents for all the sacrifices that they have given her. She’s very funny and is a kind of person where anyone can get along very well.

           

3 comments:

  1. It’s funny how we are able to me people that we went to school with yet never met. Hopefully "Lili" will reach her goal and be ready for all her future success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lili,
    I totally agree with your motto.Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good interview and lots of great details !

    ReplyDelete