Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Reality Shows


         I really don’t watch much of the reality shows that they pass anymore since my family and I no longer have cable in our house. In the past, though, there were some shows that really caught my attention as well as my family such as police chasing the bad guys who were doing something stupid, when they shouldn’t; stories on how ordinary people, like ourselves, without any knowledge of survival skills, survive when they were stuck in the middle of nowhere (deserts, mountains, etc.) in horrible weather conditions and lack of food, and crime investigations. These were my favorite types of shows at the time and watched it as a family together. But somewhere in my mind, something snapped which made me all paranoid when I was about 14 years old. From then on, I avoided watching them as much as possible. There were times when I did try to watch these kinds of shows, but I couldn’t watch it from the beginning to the end. When I felt that I was panicking or feeling sick, I would get up and leave the room. It still happens today sometimes.
One thing I can say is that I neither like or dislike reality shows because they can either be good in one way and bad for the other. What’s good about reality shows, I think, is that they teach us something. They let us see what’s happening out there that we don’t normally see. Seeing all the experiences that these people went through give us some lessons so that we can prevent that from happening in our lives and for others and how to become better people. They give out a bit of hope to the people, but it’s rare to see it in    these shows. What’s bad about these shows is that they kind of influence people to do crazy stuff that the people in the shows do. For example, if little kids were viewing these kinds of shows that contain drama or violence, most likely they would imitate what they see, not knowing that they are doing something wrong. They might just grow up being violent and end up being like the people in the reality shows. Another example is that people will see this as something normal when it’s not. Is life all about drama, about violence, or about immorality? If these things were considered pure reality, I wouldn’t want to be in that world. In some way, it does harm our society.
So I guess to answer the blog entry, I do avoid it, but it’s also good to be informed in a way to know what we’re facing and to be careful also. Though I may not watch it, I know that those things are out there, or maybe closer around the neighborhood. For me, reality is what you make of it if you want to have a prosperous life or a miserable life.Watch reality shows if you want, but for me personally, nothing in some reality shows are considered real.

1 comment:

  1. Agree that Reality shows can be interpreted in both positive and negative, just depends on who's looking I guess.

    ReplyDelete